The Department of Social Welfare and Development envisions all Filipinos free from hunger and poverty, have equal access to opportunities, enabled by a fair, just, and peaceful society.
To lead in the formulation, implementation and coordination of social welfare and development policies and programs for and with the poor, vulnerable and disadvantaged.
The DSWD Core Values of Respect for Human Dignity, Integrity and Service Excellence:
Maagap at Mapagkalingang Serbisyo
Serbisyong Walang Puwang sa Katiwalian
Patas na Pagtrato sa Komunidad
As the lead agency in social welfare and development, the Department exercises the following functions:
• Formulates policies and plans which provide direction to intermediaries and other implementers in the development and delivery of social welfare and development services.
• Develops and enriches existing programs and services for specific groups, such as children and youth, women, family and communities, solo parents, older persons and Persons with Disabilities (PWDs);
• Registers, licenses and accredits individuals, agencies and organizations engaged in social welfare and development services, sets standards and monitors the empowerment and compliance to these standards.
• Provides technical assistance and capability building to intermediaries; and
• Provides social protection of the poor, vulnerable and disadvantaged sector, DSWD also gives augmentation funds to local government units so these could deliver SWD services to depressed municipalities and barangays and provide protective services to individuals, families and communities in crisis situation.